Family-based Immigration Visas New York Immigration Attorney

New York O1 Visa Law Firm O-1 Visas
New York O1 Visa Law Firm P Visas
New York Business E Visa Law Firm Business & Investor Visas
New York Employment EB Visa Law Firm Employment Based Green Card
New York Family Marriage K Visa Law Firm Family-Based Green Cards
New York Green Card Law Firm Green Cards
New York Temporary Protected Status Law Firm Temporary Protected Status
New York Dual Citizenship Law Firm Dual Citizenship
New York Italian Citizenship Law Firm Italian Citizenship
New York Cultural Exchange Visa Law Firm Cultural Exchange Visas
New York Naturalization and Citizenship Law Firm Naturalization and Citizenship
Follow your bliss
... and the universe will
open doors for you where
there were only walls.
— Joseph Campbell
LinkedIn Facebook Google Email

Family-Based Green Cards

Immediate Relative Green Cards | Same-Sex Marriages | K-1 Visas

If you wish to obtain a visa for a spouse, fiancé, child, parent or other family member, together we will explore the various options available to you and your family.

Immediate Relative visas are reserved for those persons who are:

  • Married to a United States Citizen and demonstrating that the marriage is "bona fide";
  • The unmarried son or daughter under the age of 21 of a US Citizen;
  • The parent of a United States Citizen;

Call me so we discuss your particular facts and determine the best way to file on your family's behalf.

For other relatives, and for relatives of Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders), there are preference categories which determine the proper avenue. A first preference will have a higher priority than a second, third, or fourth preference. The categories, generally speaking, are outlined as follows:

1st preference category — includes unmarried sons and daughters of a U.S. Citizen over 21 years of age;

2A preference category — spouses and children of lawful permanent residents (green card holders);

2B preference category — unmarried sons and daughters of a lawful permanent resident over 21 years of age;

3rd preference category — married sons and daughters of a U.S. Citizen;

4th preference category — brothers and sisters of a U.S. Citizen over 21 years of age.

Same-Sex Marriages

In 2013, the US government recognized that same sex marriages are valid for immigration. First, the marriage must be deemed legal in the state or country where it took place.  The couple must also demonstrate the marriage is bona fide.  In other words, same-sex marriages are treated for all purposes as marriage and extend to matters such as fiancée visas, step-children, employment-based immigration, following-to-join and accompanying spouses, etc.

Please call our office to discuss the options available for you.

K-1 Visas or “Fiancé(e) Visas”

K-1 Visas are available for a fiancé(e) who is entering the United States to marry a U.S. Citizen within 90 days of entry. After the marriage takes place, an application for permanent residence may be filed.

The www.Travel.State.Gov website has additional information about family-based immigration.


Caterina Ranieri Grasso, Esq. | Call (315) 410-0119

Caterina Ranieri Grasso
Of Counsel
Bousquet Holstein PLLC

110 West Fayette Street
One Lincoln Center, Suite 1000
Syracuse, New York 13202
Phone: (315) 701-6462

Home | Caterina Ranieri Grasso | News | Contact Us | Blog
O-1 Visas | P Visas | Business & Investor Visas | Employment Based Green Card
Family-Based Green Cards | Green Cards | Temporary Protected Status | Dual Citizenship
Italian Citizenship | Cultural Exchange Visas| Naturalization and Citizenship